Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Best Advice I Ever Got

Sometimes, I find myself wondering how CEO's, celebrities, and other famous/important people got their starts or found themselves in their current positions. I think about what qualities they might have embodied, how they got the chance to meet or talk with the right person, or how they prepared for their breaking moments. I also find myself wishing I had more time to dedicate to personal growth and motivation. So, I was really excited when I found:
The Best Advice I Ever Got- Lessons from Extraordinary Lives compiled by Katie Couric.

It compiles stories and advice from many well-known, successful people such as: Mario Batali, George Lopez, Tyra Banks, Al Roker, Meryl Streep, and Donald Trump just to name a few.

I have really enjoyed reading these stories and pieces of advice and learning about these people as... well, as people rather than celebrities. I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for short reading that can really pack a punch in the motivational department.

You can buy it here starting at $4.00!

SIDEBAR: if you've never used half.com for buying books, you're missing out.

So, until your copy arrives in your mailbox, I will share with you one of my favorite pieces from this book so far.

Mario Batali, celebrity chef and restaurateur, titled his section "Life is Not a Recipe". He talks about his various experiences working in restaurants and about moving to Italy to further explore the world of cooking. While I love his comments about being your own person and not conforming to someone else's recipe for success but rather writing your own, one little paragraph stuck with me more than the rest.

In reference to cleaning dirty deep fryers, Batali says,"I'm not kidding. It turns out to be a metaphor. Cleanliness is next to tastiness. Cook with a dirty fryer and you cook garbage. Start with a clean fryer and you get something perfect, simple, and poetic. Just like all of cooking, and all of life. Garbage in, garbage out. Truth in, truth out."

I particularly liked this segment because he makes a reference to "all of life", and I agree. This concept DOES APPLY to ALL aspects of our lives. This is why at the beginning of every week, I try to take time to organize my backpack, put posted power points from my professors in OneNote, and otherwise tidy up my life. It makes my school week run a WHOLE LOT smoother. I feel better prepared for class, I can find things in my backpack, and my nerves are a little less racked by daily tasks. But, this also applies to other aspects too. Having a clear plan or mindset before embarking on a grocery trip, prayer, meetings, projects, etc. helps us to make the most of our time and really focus on what is important.

So today, I challenge you to do three things.


  1. Order this book!
  2. Dedicate time to step back and reorganize your thoughts, desk, purse, whatever it is that is holding you back from being as efficient as possible or is causing minor yet unnecessary stress.
  3. Read this book and let me know what resonates with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your ideas, opinions, and other thoughts! Just please, be respectful and conservative in your language. Thank you! :)